March 31, 2012

The Big Gay Ice Cream Shop

I'd already started eating it, then remembered
I should take a picture, oops!
The Big Gay Ice Cream Truck is quite famous and has made numerous appearances on the Food Network. Recently--within the last year--they have expanded from being a food truck to being a food truck and an actual store front. That is excellent news, because it meant I could just stop by one long weekend when I was craving ice cream. I went with my mom so we got two different things and split them. I got the Monday Sundae which is similar to their famous Salty Pimp, but with more chocolate. It's a waffle cone, lined with nutella, filled with chocolate-vanilla swirl ice cream, drizzled with salted dulce de leche sauce, and topped with whipped cream. The way the salty-sweet sauce mixed with the sweet vanilla ice cream and the chocolatey chocolate ice cream and nutella was perfect.

My mom got the mermaid. It is a cup of vanilla ice cream, with graham cracker crumbles and lime curd. The great thing is that the graham cracker crumbles and lime curd are mixed throughout the cup in little pockets between the creamy swirls of ice cream. You think you must have gotten the last taste of that tangy and sweet curd when suddenly your spoon hits another well of limey goodness.

Their ice cream is all--or at least mainly--soft serve. But bears no resemblance to the airy and overly sweet soft serve you get at a Mr. Softie truck. It reminds me of a slightly less rich version of the soft serve you can get in Cornwall, England where the cream is wonderfully thick, so the ice cream is incredible.

I loved both desserts I tried and will have to go back and try more. The oink-wich (as I believe it's called) sounds strange but remarkably appealing and their daily specials look like they are delicious--when I went it was a red velvet sundae, which was cream cheese ice cream with chunks of red velvet cake. I hope that have that again next time I go, because I definitely want to try it!

No comments:

Post a Comment